- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), cut up
- 2 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- Place the chicken, water, salt, garlic and thyme in a large kettle or Dutch oven. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Remove chicken from broth; cool. Remove meat from bones; discard bones and cut meat into chunks. Set aside. Skim fat from broth. Place 3-1/2 cups broth in a bowl (save remaining broth for another use); add chicken and remaining ingredients. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until rice is tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.