Chicken Korma with Potatoes simmered in a mildly spiced creamy yogurt sauce. Makes a very delicious and satisfying meal served with rice.
Korma is a dish consisting of meat and vegetables usually braised in a spiced sauce thicken with yogurt, cream, nut or seed paste. It has its roots in Northern Indian cuisine where dairy is often used. Known for its mild flavor, it can be made fiery with the addition of chili powder.
Indian food in Malaysia is predominantly Southern Indian in origin. Everyone’s favorite is the fiery Chicken Curry cooked with coconut milk. Korma is the lesser known cousin, often cooked with coconut milk, instead of yogurt. As a child, I remember Chicken and Potato Korma as the “yellow curry”. It was mild, fragrant, and quite delicious. Occasionally, Mom cooked it using convenient korma curry powder.
This Chicken and Potato Korma definitely has a lighter consistency than coconut milk based curries. A little cream may be added for a creamier texture.
Preparation Time: 15-20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
Ingredients to Marinate the chicken and potato:
|Red chilly powder, lal mirch||1/2 teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder, haldi||1/2 teaspoon|
|Ginger-garlic paste, adrak-lehsun paste||2 teaspoon|
|Cardamom green powder, choti elaichi powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Fenugreek leaves, kasoori methi||1/2 teaspoon|
Ingredients for Korma:
|Cinnamon stick||1 inch piece|
|Mustard oil||1 cup|
|Red chilly powder||1 teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1 teaspoon|
|Coriander leaves||for garnish|
|Kewra water||1 teaspoon|
Ingredients to grind:
|Cumin seeds, zeera||1 teaspoon|
|Black pepper, kali mirch||1/2 teaspoon|
|Cardamom green, choti elaichi||3|
|Cardamom brown, badi elaichi||1|
|Coconut grated, kadduks kiya nariyal||3 tbsp|
|Mace, javitri||1/2 blade|
|Nutmeg, jaiphal||1/8 tsp|
|Cashew nuts, kaju||12-13|
|Ginger-garlic paste||1 teaspoon|
1. Clean and wash the chicken well. Peel off the skin of potato and cut the potato into 1 inch pieces. Take the chicken and potato in a bowl and add all the ingredients given in the table “ Ingredients to Marinate the chicken and potato” mix it well. Keep it aside for 2-3 hours for marinating.
2. Keep all the ingredients ready for grind.
3. Take all the ingredients given in the table above” Ingredients for grind” . Grind it to make the fine paste. You can add 3-4 tbsp water while grinding it to make a fine paste.
4. Heat the pressure cooker with oil and sauté with bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Then add chopped onion.
5. Fry it till onion are light golden brown in the color.
6. Then add ground paste, red chilly powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt.
7. Add 1 cup water. Close the lid of the pressure cooker and pressure cook it on high flame for one whistle, then keep the flame very low and cook for another 10 minutes. Switch off the flame.
8. Heat another wok with 2 tbsp oil and add marinated chicken and potato. Fry it for 6-7 minutes till oil shows separately.
9. Open the cooker and add fried chicken and ghee. Cook it on low flame for another 8-10 Minutes till oil shows separately and nice aroma comes from the spices. Then add 1 cup water, close the lid again, and pressure cook it for one whistle on high flame, then keep the flame medium and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Switch off the flame, let the pressure settles down, Open cooker add kewra and garnish with coriander leaves.
10. Delicious Potato chicken korma is ready to serve, Serve hot with chapatti, naan or rice.